Sunday, July 19, 2015

COPD 2015 Guidelines: The 2015 update of the Global Initiative for Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease

In 2011, the Global Initiative for Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease (GOLD) released a consensus report, Global Strategy for the Diagnosis, Management, and Prevention of COPD. It recommended a major revision in the management strategy for COPD that was presented in the original 2001 document. Updated reports released in January 2013, January 2014, and January 2015 are based on scientific literature published since the completion of the 2011 document but maintain the same treatment paradigm. Assessment of COPD is based on the patient’s level of symptoms, future risk of exacerbations, the severity of the spirometric abnormality, and the identification of comorbidities. The 2015 update adds an Appendix on Asthma COPD Overlap Syndrome, material prepared jointly by the GOLD and GINA Science Committees.
www.goldcopd.org/uploads/users/files/GOLD_Report_2015_Apr2.pdf
 
The GOLD 2015 report is presented as a “strategy document” for health care professionals to use as a tool to implement effective management programs based on available health care systems. The quadrant management strategy tool is designed to be used in any clinical setting; it draws together a measure of the impact of the patient’s symptoms and an assessment of the patient’s risk of having a serious adverse health event in the future. Many studies have assessed the utility/relevance of this new tool. Evidence will continue to be evaluated by the GOLD committees and management strategy recommendations modified as required.
GOLD has been fortunate to have a network of international distinguished health professionals from multiple disciplines. Many of these experts have initiated investigations of the causes and prevalence of COPD in their countries, and have developed innovative approaches for the dissemination and implementation of the GOLD management strategy. The GOLD initiative will continue to work with National Leaders and other interested health care professionals to bring COPD to the attention of governments, public health officials, health care workers, and the general public to raise awareness of the burden of COPD and to develop programs for early detection, prevention and approaches to management.
The GOLD 2015 report: direct link
www.goldcopd.org/uploads/users/files/GOLD_Report_2015_Apr2.pdf

3 comments:

  1.  I'm 59 years old and female. I was diagnosed a couple of years ago with COPD and I was beyond scared! My lung function test indicated 49% capacity. After having had flu a year ago, the shortness of breath, coughing and chest pains continued even after being treated with antibiotics. I've been smoking two packs a day for 36 years. Being born without a sternum caused my ribs to be curled in just one inch away from my spine, resulting to underdeveloped lungs. At age 34 I had surgery and it was fixed. Unfortunately my smoking just caused more damage to my already under developed lungs. The problem was having is that I enjoy smoking and don't want to give up! Have tried twice before and nearly went crazy and don't want to go through that again. I saw the fear in my husband and children's eyes when I told them about my condition then they start to find solution on their own to help my condition.I am an 59 now who was diagnose COPD emphysema which I know was from my years of smoking. I started smoking in school when smoking was socially acceptable. I remember when smoking was permitted in hospitals. It was not known then how dangerous cigarettes were for us, and it seemed everybody smoked but i was able to get rid of my COPD lung condition through the help of total cure herbal foundation my husband bought, totalcureherbsfoundation .c om has the right herbal formula to help you get rid and repair any lung conditions and cure you totally with their natural organic herbs,it class products at affordable prices because how awful it is with this lung dictions . I wish anybody who starts smoking at a young age would realize what will eventually happen to their bodies if they continue that vile habit throughout their life, certainly total cure herbs is the formula to get over Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease.

    ReplyDelete
  2. “I was walking and my husband was telling me to slow down because he couldn’t keep up with me.”Denise F. lived with COPD and chronic asthma for many years. When her quality of life continued to decline, Denise decided to try something different.While being with her horses brought her peace and joy, not being able to breathe made spending time with them challenging. When her grandchildren would visit, she couldn’t even participate in their activities.After the herbal recommendation at the ( multivitamincare org ) Denise my best friend no longer needs oxygen or a walker and has seen many improvements. She can walk, clean her house, go shopping, enjoy a vacation, ride her horses, lift hay bales and do anything she wants to do.Now, when her grandchildren visit, they can ride horses together and make wonderful memories. And, Denise wants to lead the way, “I was walking and my husband was telling me to slow down because he couldn’t keep up with me.”
    If you or someone you love has COPD, emphysema, pulmonary fibrosis or another chronic lung disease and would like to see results like Denise’s, contact them on their website to learn more about your lung disease treatment options how to overcome it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rhonda S.’s COPD made her feel short of breath and like she was constantly dragging. While her inhalers helped some, she just didn’t feel like herself anymore.
    After having life-threatening pneumonia, she knew something had to change. A friend of hers mentioned multivitamin herbal formula restoration treatment, so Rhonda did
    some research and decided to receive treatment at the multivitamin herbal cure. “I started to feel better almost right away,” Rhonda said.
    And, along with feeling better, she began to do things she couldn’t do before treatment. Now, Rhonda can take showers, work in her flower garden, and she enjoys having more energy. It’s with a great deal of hope, Rhonda says, “I feel more like myself.”
    Like Rhonda, you can breathe easier and bring normal life back within reach. If you or someone you love has a chronic lung disease and would like more information, contact them today by calling (+1 (956) 758-7882 to visit their website multivitamincare .org

    ReplyDelete